I got a text message from my husband saying he was getting sick. We all know that feeling; the scratch in your throat, the slight cough that is getting worse with each passing hour, a headache that just won’t quit. My husband is a supply teacher and often the bugs he picks up are super sized since he’s around so many kiddos.
Once I got the message I went straight to my herbal kitchen. While I do have elderberry syrup in the fridge, I decided that an extra dose of elderberry’s healing powers with a strong decoction (or juice) wouldn’t hurt. Here’s what I did.
- 3 cups of water
- ½ cup of dried organic elderberries (1 cup fresh if you have access)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 clove buds
- 1 tsp dried/powered ginger (I didn’t have ginger root)
- Add all ingredients together in a pot
- Bring it to boil
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer for 1 hour
- Crush the juice out of the berries
- Let them cool and do it by hand
- Use a potato masher (this is what I do)
- Strain the berries and squeeze as much juice out of them as possible
- It WILL stain your hands so wear gloves in you care about such things
The decoction is best served warm but you can also serve it chilled. Add honey or sweetener if desired. Drink 1 cup total daily.