This came up on my Pinterest feed a while back and I’ve been wanting to try it. I love my EOS lip blams. Mostly I love the container. Something about that little egg shape is rather appealing. However, I’m frugal and if I can make something myself I usually like to try it
My first attempt was a disaster. I tried following the instructions I found on Pinterest and it just turned out awful. All it took was a slight tweeking of my technique and I got it to work. So now I will share it with you fine folks; an all-natural DIY EOS refill.
The instructions I’m posting is for refilling one EOS container. I do find it easier to work in larger batches (especially with a double boiler) so if you have a few containers lying around just double or triple the recipe. Also, you will mostly likely have some extra lip balm left over so find another small container you can pour it into (waste not, want not!).
For 1 (one) EOS container:
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 1-1/2 tbsp coconut oil (olive or almond oils will work too)
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa or shea butter
If you do not have cocoa or shea butter just use 2 full tbsp of oil
- 6-7 drops of peppermint essential oil
Instructions – Container Prep
- First you will want to clean and sterilize your EOS containers. They come apart into three pieces. You will need a knife to pry out the threaded part (the part with the spoke design). Use boiling water to get rid of any bacteria and melt away any remaining bits of lip balm. Remember it is plastic so you only need to boil it for about 30 seconds or so.
- Dry them with a paper towel and allow to cool (it doesn’t take long).
- Next take your wheel/spoke piece and screw it onto the lid (the piece with the rounded plastic part). See photos below.
- Set the bottom piece of the container aside for now.
Instructions – Lip Gloss
- Combine all of your ingredients except the essential oil into a double boiler or microwave safe dish
- Melt all ingredients
I do not own a microwave so I have no idea how long it will take – start with 5-10 seconds
- Once all ingredients are melted I transferred them to a glass measuring cup
- Add essential oils and stir (I use a chopstick)
- Pour your melted lip gloss into the lid of the container. You will want to fill it just above the plastic spoke.
- Allow to cool and harden completely. At least 4-5 hours.
Some people like to put it in the fridge but I had much better results allowing it to cool on the counter.
- Once your lip gloss has hardened line up the top and bottom of your EOS container (see photos below)
- Push until until you hear the bottom part of the container snap into place
Voila! You have homemade, all natural lip gloss in your old EOS container. Once you get the hang of this you can start experimenting with different carrier oils and essential oils. You can even infuse your carrier oils with herbs (such as peppermint, lavender & calendula, just to name a few) to give it added healing properties.
Just as a note. Please,please,please do not use melted crayons as a tint for your lip gloss. This is going around on the Internet and trust me, it’s not a good idea and it’s definitely not natural.
In good health,
P.S. Pin this for future use 😉